Overall Mission Assessment: We currently have 170 Cadets enrolled in the program for the Spring Semester. We are also happy to announce we successfully commissioned five seniors at the end of December as new Second Lieutenants in the U.S. Army with a sixth expected in early 2023.
- The Battalion is expected to welcome 19 new Cadets into the program during our Spring 2023 New Cadet Orientation on Monday 09 January 2023. Incoming Cadets will receive information focused on ways to be successful in the program, introduction to the Cadet Chain of Command, ROTC clubs and submission of documents for participation in the program.
- The Buckeye Battalion is anticipating welcoming a new member into the family. MAJ Brian Conway, the Battalion’s Executive Officer and his wife Erica Conway are due early January 2023 with their new baby girl.
- The Ohio State Army ROTC Cadre and Staff enjoyed the Winter Break and New Year. All Cadre and Staff returned to work on Tuesday 03 JAN 2023. Of note, one of our HRAs, Ms. Michelle Perry unfortunately recently lost her mother. The office rallied around her and are working to support her and her family during this tough time.
- The Buckeye Battalion is working to schedule an Army Community Meeting with the SROTC programs including OSU and Capital, local USAREC leaders, and local JROTC programs on 27 JAN 2023 in order to facilitate discussions for Spring Events. The meeting is focused on facilitating local partnerships and relationships.
Training and Retaining:
- The Battalion continues to train the MSIs and MSIIs in the areas of the Profession of Arms as well as the integration Squad tactics. The MSIIIs transition to graded patrols at West Campus for Platoon STX lanes. The MSIVs conducted a Change of Command last semester that offers new leadership opportunities for planning and oversight this semester. These efforts focus on preparation for the Task Force FTX at the end of March and the success of our MSIIIs at CST23.
January 2023 Recruiting events schedule:
- 12 JAN 23 – SP23 Transfer & Regional Campus Student Welcome Event
- 18-19 JAN 23 – Spring Student Involvement Fair
- 27 JAN 23 – Buckeye Visit Day (OSU-N) High School Senior’s31 MAY – 28 JUL 22 – Day-1 Summer Orientation (8,000 Incoming Freshmen @ Columbus Campus)
Discipline: MAJ Conway submitted his 15-6 investigation to CPT Prather, the BDE JAG, for review.
Teamwork: The Cadre executed a Leader Professional Development on Thursday 05 January 2023 on the book Leadership and Self-Deception by the Arbinger Institute. The book discusses selfishness, self-betrayal, coercion, and understanding others both in the work place and at home. This was a great opportunity for the Cadre and Staff to develop mindset and conduct team building.
Heroes of the Battlefield:
Military: Nomination not available due to the holiday schedule.
Cadet: Nomination not available due to the holiday schedule.
Civilian: Serving as our Office Manager, Ms. Angie Arnette continues to be a driving force within the Buckeye Battalion. After hearing of Ms. Michelle Perry’s recent family loss, she made sure to notify the Cadre and Staff and then spent time with Ms. Perry afterwork hours to take care of her coworker and friend. Her enthusiasm and empathy make the Buckeye Battalion a stronger unit.
- New Cadet Orientation 09 JAN 2023
- Flying Irish Basketball Tournament 10-12 FEB2022
- Spring Awards 02 MAR 2023
- Military Ball 09 MAR 2023
- Task Force FTX 31 MAR – 02 APR 2023
- Spring Commissioning 06 MAR 2023
Buckeyes Lead The Way!
LTC Michael R. Kelvington